Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Back on the old treadmill...

Well, I returned to the gym yesterday despite being totally exhausted just from sitting at my desk all day. I want to go back to my 12 hours a night of sleep coupled with 3 hour mid-day naps. Sigh. It had to end sometime.

I don't have anything very interesting to say about this gym experience. I went there determined to run 5 miles, and was really bummed to realize I'd left my little shuffle at home. It meant a very long-feeling, boring run and a concerted effort to keep watching the news to take my mind off of the seconds crawling by, but I completed my goal. 5 miles in 58 minutes at a 1.0 incline, with speeds ranging from 4.8 to 6.6. I find it harder to keep up my speed on the treadmill--both because I'm bored and because I'm paranoid of falling. I threw a little fartlek in there for a change, but my recovery period was longer than expected, so I think that ended up actually slowing down my overall time as well. Still, it did feel rewarding to be really running and really struggling for 5 minute intervals. I was wiped out after the 5 miles, and barely made it home!

Vaz and I had planned to run together for the first time in Central Park tonight, but she's home sick and it's rainy and disgusting out. I was hoping for 3 miles today...I may head back to the gym if I'm feeling ambitious, but I think I'd be just as happy heading home for a nap after work. I am such a sleepy head all the time! I've gotta fit two more runs in at some point this week, though, and J.'s home (hooray!), so my mind is otherwise occupied. If not tonight, Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment