Sunday, December 07, 2008

Weekend, end of week one.

Well, I had planned to go to the gym on Friday, but since I got there just as they were closing (the Web site lied!), that didn't really work out. So instead of doing yoga on Saturday, I decided to get some running in. After lazing about the entire day, I finally headed out at dusk. I ran to Fort Greene Park, once around the park, and back, which I think is just over three miles. I'm trying to pay more attention to my body's reaction, and it's definitely taking some time to adjust to regular exercise. My ankles felt really week from the start and I was tripping here and there for the first quarter mile or so, but with the Colorado mix I made for EE blaring and a specific route in mind, I got into a nice rhythm. When I started to head back from the park, I realized it had only been 20 minutes and that I could probably make it back in 10 if I pushed myself a bit. I was surprised to find that I was able to do it without feeling like death, and actually sprinted that last couple of blocks. 30 minutes for 3 miles. Improvement! I'll admit that I spent a good while after congratulating myself. This was probably the first jog that I have somewhat enjoyed. It wasn't the thing I'd most like to have been doing, but my body felt good, the distance felt manageable, and seeing progress was really uplifting.

This morning I worked at the coffee shop, and then after passing out a J.'s for an incredible three hour nap, I went to Bikram. Gah! Hell. It's been quite awhile since I've practiced (maybe since Mom came in June....?), and it was a total nightmare. Despite drinking 72 oz. of water today (a record for me since I generally live in a constant state of dehydration), I was nauseous the whole hour and a half, and holding each pose was a struggle. Might've had something to do with drinking heavily last night and dancing for hours in honor of Vaz's birthday... But I got through it of course, and did feel really great after--except for the fact that I had to face a longish walk in bitterly cold and windy weather. I plan to return next week. Even with a rough class, I realized how much I've missed going to yoga regularly. EE is also trying to suck me into vinyasa though, so we'll see.

I've been trying to eat better and drink more water, but old habits die hard and I can't seem to resist the sugar. I also need to do some grocery shopping to keep me from eating out all the time.

Tomorrow: gym. I don't want to take a rest day in the new week until I've gotten at least one treadmill workout in.

I wasn't going to tell anyone about the race or the blog--mainly because I'm not sure I can really go through with it, especially if Mom drops out--but I'm finding that telling people makes me feel more obligated to follow through. Not to mention that EE and Alvina are both crazy running people and have a lot of great advice to share.
Week 1 totals: 8.7 miles, 1.5 hours yoga, 3 rest days

Til next time...
-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment